Wednesday, August 14, 2024

Derrick Smith

Derrick Smith, in deep depression 

 Derrick Smith 344250

Kettle Moraine Correctional Institution

Po Box 189, Phoenix, MD 21131

I have known Derrick for decades and advocated for him during a spate of PREA violations that left us both . stunned. I found there is no accountability with PREA in the system , I went to the Heads of the DOC and PREA, the nurses, the outside volunteer groups, even the sherriff and found that PREA works at the bidding of the DOC. I could not even get a rape test kit to Derrick. The perpetrators were DOC employees and they were protected. Now I know more and have more connections but then I was overwhelmed.

Derrick is now in a more humane setting but is still traumatized to the core- he was never given treatment or had any kind of therapy for the rapes he experienced. We have made a pact to both of us keep going- a "WIN" is simply that- one foot ahead of another. The gut blows this system gives us all are constant. As one prisoner ,litigator, now out ,said: "the only resistance is persistence. " We will be posting the details of Derrick experiences, his court cases etc and my investigating/advocacy as Derrick is ready..

From letter 7424

Please excuse me Peg. I've been stuck in the most depressive rut of my life. I am hoping and praying that the Good Lord helps me out of it. I've been this way since I disillusioned at WRC. I am truly believing that no one but God can help me. I really thank you Peg for helping me keep my nose above water. At least I know that it's not winter Blues. I know the large part of it is that I'm so very tired fighting the DOC and the judicial system. I feel that they've grinded me into only a shell of myself. I barely recognize myself and all I do. It's almost as if I become someone I don't know. It seems that if I continue to fight them and continue to lose, I might give up. I know giving up is not an option. Because if I do.. there is no if I give up. I just can't do it. I'll have to use the Good Lord's wisdom and strength to continue to fight for any freedom and accountability.


 if you can ,Peg, can you send me some hygiene products? I only need some coast soap and some deodorant. They don't give us soap here unless we use that liquid soap above the sink. If not, I could still use some stamps


link to Derrick's complete original letter :

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

First look

  Below are some of the prisoners posted here; look at the side bar to this blog and you will see prisoners listed by last name. Under that ...